[aprssig] SCOUTS to RF Broadcast Server???

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Sun Oct 7 20:30:12 EDT 2007

[The CQSRVR does not recognize message dupes and so
[consumes extra channel capacity by responding to
[all dupes of an incoming message instead of just
[the first.

> This is inconsequential since the client retry
> will still be acked.  Not enough bandwidth used
> to worry about adding the necessary overhead to
> track individual station's messages

In the short-term maybe. But, I think if this system gets as
popular as I think it will, then that will be worthwhile adding
in the long run.  So it would be nice to keep that fix on the
do-later list.

Actually, if the CQSRVR used the APRS reply-ack protocol, then
it could include the outgoing ACK and the outgoing ("message to
scouts sent") in the same packet and improve overall reliability
with less packets.  But again, that is future work at this
point.

By the way, sinc ebeing logged onto CQSRVR for SCOUTS now for an
hour, I have now gotten my first SCOUTS contact with VE7GDH.

Thanks!

Bob.