[aprssig] Dupe Checking....

Joel Maslak jmaslak-aprs at antelope.net
Thu Oct 4 00:40:33 EDT 2007

On Oct 3, 2007, at 10:23 PM, Robert Bruninga wrote:

> I have no problem with smart beaconing if somehow it can be set
> to AVERAGE no more than about one packet per minute or less like
> everyone else...

It *can* and *should* be set to less than a minute (probably
*significantly* less), not only "average" but "absolutely".  It's
also good amateur practice.

I've implemented Smart Beaconing in some APRS software.  Like most
radio equipment, it could be abused to cause QRM (so can your D700 -
just hold the mic button down for hours), which is why we're supposed
to be semi-competent at using our equipment.  I still think it is a
very good thing for the network.

So does this mean that you no longer have a problem with Smart
Beaconing since it meets the requirement of being able to be set to
average no more than one packet per minute (or one packet every 2
hours if the operator prefers).