[aprssig] APRS resolution

Steve Noskowicz noskosteve at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 3 20:40:39 EDT 2007

Since I know the difference, I take that as a yes.   (:-)  73, Steve

Tapio Sokura <oh2kku at iki.fi> wrote:
  Steve Noskowicz wrote:
> I'm no expert on GPS, but what about the random wander
> of GPS. Does this level of accuracy need differential
> GPS with a local GPS reference transmitter?

There's a difference between accuracy and resolution. I'm not going to
repeat the definitions, google can do that for you. Anyway your accuracy
can be limited by resolution, which is the case with the regular 2
decimals of minute APRS. Of course good resolution doesn't guarantee
accuracy (or precision), but at least good enough resolution doesn't
prevent you from reaching good accuracy.

Another thing entirely is whether typical uses of APRS need more
resolution than two decimals of minute. Most probably don't. But the
spec shouldn't unnecessarily restrict users from using good accuracy if
they have the navigation gear to achieve it.

Tapio