[aprssig] Dupe Checking....

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Wed Oct 3 19:54:53 EDT 2007

You didn't mention what type and version of TNC you have at your
digis...

> Trackers are driving me nuts. Don't get me wrong,
> I own an OT. BUT, the Dupe checking doesn't seem
> to be working on my two digi's (operating since
> '96).
>
> Local trackers are sometimes pinging every 10
> seconds depending if they are driving around
> in the local supermarket. By the time they
> have hit the two digi's, here comes the next
> position.

Yes, the digi cannot filter those out, since each packet is
different.  This is a user configuration problem with the
tracker.  We have a few of those around here too.  It sounds
like it is set to too-high a rate, or has improperly configured
smart-beaconing.

I wish I had some ideas, but I don't.  Somehow we need
configuration software to force limits on the settings that
users can make for routine operation...

> But since we have about a half a dozen new trackers,
> the traffic has increased about 500% because of the
> constant digipeating...

Proportional-pathing would help.  That way, the trackers would
still have a frequent update rate locally, but at least each
packet would not be multiplied out 2 hops and 8 copies in all
directions all the time.

Good luck.  We should make it a requirement for all one-way
trackers to include a valid email in their beacons, and to
monitor 144.39 voice alert (with their unused receiver).  Then
they would drive themselves nuts with all their frequent
packets...

Bob, WB4APR