[aprssig] Winlink Positions on APRS

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Wed Oct 3 10:06:30 EDT 2007

During yesterday's Satellite demo of APRS via GO32:

As I was zooming in on Annapolis, Maryland, to see our own
station, the map seemed lit-up with more stations than usual.
As I zoomed in to the mile scale, the area was full of APRS
reporting boats.

http://mm.aprs.net/map.cgi?map=APRSworld&lat=39&lon=-76.5&call=*
&range=.5

Then I realized it is the annual boat-show weekend.  On closer
inspection, it seems these position reports are not on APRS VHF,
or APRS Satellite, but are on WinLink HF.  Steve's APRS
FINDU.COM engine collects them from WinLink and adds them to the
APRS system!

Now, with the APRS format for including operating frequency in
all position reports (and built-into the D710 radio), once that
is integrated with the WHOIS system, then we will have one
picture for all of ham radio for finding other hams and their
operating frequency.

See: http://www.ew.usna.edu/~bruninga/localinfo.html

Bob, WB4APR