[aprssig] Operator bit - present or not

Bernard Tyers bernard.tyers at gmail.com
Wed Oct 3 04:56:43 EDT 2007

I guess someone has already discussed this to death before, but I
thought it might be worth a shot.

On 2 Oct 2007, at 01:24, Robert Bruninga wrote:
> Just a month ago, we defined a new
> symbol "O-" for OPERATOR PRESENT.

With regards the operator present symbol and defining if an operator
is really there at the keyboard, one particular method of testing if
a user is "there" used by "Internet based" Instant Messaging clients
is keyboard/mouse input.

i.e. if the user has not moved/clicked the mouse *or* typed on the
keyboard for XX time period, the user is then marked as away. The
application sets their status message as "away". This is then
transmitted to the IM network, and their other contacts are therefore
aware they are not listening/present.

While this might be difficult to do on actual radio hardware
(D700/710/TH-d7 etc) would it be doable to implement for a software
application? Maybe its not so easy? Not being a software person, I
am, of course, guessing. :)

Feel free to dissect.

regards,
bernard