[aprssig] APRS Server duplicate filtering

Steve Dimse steve at dimse.com
Tue Oct 2 18:07:22 EDT 2007

On Oct 2, 2007, at 5:09 PM, Jim wrote:

> A question for the APRS Server experts!
>
> Do servers filter duplicate packets and, if so, what is the default
> duplicate period?

Absolutely filtering is done, it is essential for keeping the
bandwidth of the stream within limits. The filtering is based on the
payload and origin, not the entire packet, so different digi's and
iGates don't affect the filtering. The filtering period will vary
with the server's software, there is no right answer. findU uses a
mechanism based on number of packets, not on time. The incoming
packet is compared to the last 256 packets. I haven't revisited that
in a while, but since that number is now less than 10 seconds, I need
to increase it.

> I'm trying to pass a couple of stations through at a 30 second
> interval, but
> if stationary not all beacons are being passed out again.

If they are identical packets, what reason is there for sending them
at this rate? Even for changing data, if you need it at this rate,
APRS is probably not the transport medium you should be considering.

The APRS IS is a shared resource, and those extra packets put an
additional load on dozens of servers.

Steve K4HG