[aprssig] RE: APRS for One-Laptop-Per-Child

Bill Vodall WA7NWP wa7nwp at gmail.com
Fri Nov 16 12:15:24 EST 2007

On Nov 15, 2007 10:45 PM, Robert Bruninga <bruninga at usna.edu> wrote:
> > As neat as the OLPC is, it's not the only game
> > in town for small networked computers....
>
> No question.  The market is full of cheap solutions.  But in my
> mind, cheap is not the objective.  The objective is
> ubiquitisness (if that is a word)...  The simple fact that the
> market will be full of cheap ssolutions is the problem.
> Everyone has different hardware, software, firmware, drivers,
> programs, user interfaces, links, networks etc...
>
> I see the advantage of the OLPC as a common denominator.  A
> fundamental standard.  And one that will not be tweaked every
> year by Microsoft.
>
> And will be super low power.  For emergencies and viewing in the
> sun, that is exciting for me.  (and open source)...

Every year there will new devices with lower power and more
functionality.  The goal is to keep the "application" portable and not
be locked into using "old" equipment like we are with the Kantronics
digi's.   So the goal should be some portable generic tool that works
anywhere and we can keep using it and growing it regardless the
platform.   Examples here are web pages, Java and probably even
Python..   Maybe the new Google Android initiative would be worth a
look for the Amateur Digital possibilities.

Bill - WA7NWP