[aprssig] PSK31 and OLPC?

J. Lance Cotton joe at lightningflash.net
Mon Nov 12 14:45:28 EST 2007

on 11/12/2007 1:33 PM Jack Cavanagh said the following:
> QPSK-31 is an FEC mode. OLIVIA, Chip-64, etc are alternate FEC modes to
> consider. If it is kids using whatever, they will pick it up real fast.
> They do not bring any bias to the table. On the other hand, the manager
> of one HRO store told me he has had more than one ham return a Kenwood
> D-700 because it was too complicated!

The linux program fldigi is a multi-mode HF soundcard digital application
that supports a wide variety of soundcard digital modes.
http://www.w1hkj.com/Fldigi-2.x.html

The companion program flarq is an adjunct of fldigi that adds ARQ connection
management to fldigi and allows for sending of emails, text, and binary files.
http://www.w1hkj.com/FlarqHelpFiles/flarq.html

flarq add ARQ capability to any of the modes fldigi supports, which include
(from the website):
CW
DominoEX 4 	DominoEX 5 	DominoEX 8 	DominoEX 11 	DominoEX 16 	DominoEX 22
Feld-Hell 	FSK-Hell 	FSK-Hell 105
MFSK-8 	MFSK-16 	MFSK-16 pix
PSK-31 	QPSK-31 	PSK-63 	QPSK-63 	PSK-125 	QPSK-125 	PSK-250 	QPSK-250
OLIVIA 	various tones and bandwidth
RTTY 	various Baud Rates, Shifts, Nbr of data bits, etc.
Throb-1 	Throb-2 	Throb-4 	ThrobX-1 	ThrobX-2 	ThrobX-4

This seems to me to be an excellent start on reliable message and data
passing using the best mode for the time/frequency/rig.

--
J. Lance Cotton, KJ5O
joe at lightningflash.net
http://kj5o.lightningflash.net
Three Step Plan: 1. Take over the world. 2. Get a lot of cookies. 3. Eat the
cookies.