[aprssig] Re: Puxing PX-777

Scott Miller scott at opentrac.org
Thu Nov 8 02:25:00 EST 2007

>   So if they've got an exclusive distribution arrangement, how did you
> manage to get an import license???

It's got nothing to do with an import license.  The manufacturer has a
contractual arrangement with the company that says they'll only sell to
them in the US.  That just means I have to buy them elsewhere, and
someone else gets to take a cut.  It also means that I can't get the
radios with my own brand label, but I don't particularly care about that.

It's not illegal, no contract is broken (since I'm not party to that
agreement), and I still pay the same import duties.

I think it's worth pointing out that this sort of arbitrage only works
when there is an artificial disparity in price.  If I can sell the same
radio for less than half the price and still make a profit even after an
overseas wholesaler takes a cut, that should tell you something about
the obscene markup that exists in the authorized distribution channel.
I'm just doing my part to ensure the efficiency of the market!  =]

>   And I guess I'm not up on current FCC regs.  I thought the FCC frowned
> upon any tranciever able to function on frequencies of more than one
> service.  If this thing is really that broadbanded, does one need a
> license in every service that it spans in order to legally own one?

Only to legally transmit, as I understand the rules.  The exception to
that would be 800 MHz receive, which they don't let you own.

Scott
N1VG