[aprssig] GPS Hardware Vendors Buying Up Mapping Data Vendors

Drew Baxter droobie at maine.rr.com
Mon Nov 5 20:00:23 EST 2007

Delorme Street Atlas, the software product.. I buy it every time a
new version comes out.  I also buy Topo USA, which is updated less
frequently (Every few years instead of every year).

Not sure about the latest Gazeeteer since I haven't bought one
lately.  I think the paper maps are a little dated, though the new
revision should have our exit changes (if it's out yet or coming soon
I'm not sure).  I think they only refresh them every 2 years or
something like that.

You may find some of their areas (like Northern NJ) use pretty old
GDT (now Teleatlas I think) data.. But in Northern New England they
do seem to map their own.  They also offer custom mapping using
aircraft as part of their XMap platform, etc.

I don't see the credit going to Teleatlas, Navteq, etc. when I print
out their maps anymore either.  On older vers it showed credit to
where the maps were derived from.

SA lets you 'build your own road' based on GPS trail in their
software too.  That's helped out a few times in helping them with errors.  :)

--Droo, K1XVM