[aprssig] Need Help Digipeating Programming for D7

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Thu May 31 10:32:04 EDT 2007

> Kewl!  Could you supply more detail?  I'm new at this.
>
> > Don't bother with KISS mode.
> > Just resend packet in 3rd party format.
> > Done.

Just take the packet as received.  Put a "{" in front of the
whole thing, and then send it back into the D7 TNC and it will
now be a 3rd party packet which all software should decode as if
it were the original packet.

Ah, but then we need some smarts to determine "when" to digipeat
it so that we don't have an infinite loop.  SO then you have to
look at the received packet and determine its present path and
if it still has any digipeats to go.  If it still has hops to
go, then decrement the WIDEn-N counter before you make the 3rd
party packet above.  Of course, this path is now 3rd party so it
is never acted on, but it will show on receipt that it was
digipeated.

Even better is to also then INSERT your D7's callsign in that
original path.

Even better is to figure out how many hops remain in the
original path (if more than 1) and then set yoru D7's path
according to that number.

If you do all of the above, then I think the intent of
"digipeating" on the D7 will be accomplished.

One simple approach is to make it only respond to an unused
WIDE1-1.  This makes the D7 only act as a first hop digi.  But I
would rather see the full implementation, because I want to use
these in caves whwere we will need the full WIDE7-7 to get the
packet out to the entrance of the cave..

Bob, WB4APR

> > Bob
> >
> > > I'm looking into writing a program for the HP-50G graphing

> > > calculator which will permit digipeating with a D7.  I
have
> > > little experience writing digipeat code or with KISS mode.

> > > This is for wilderness travel where a PC may not be
available.

> > > What I know so far:
> > >
> > > The D7 seems to go into KISS mode.  When I tell it "KISS
ON",
> > > stuff changes.  (Gotta start small.)
> > >
> > > The calculator can send binary or char down the serial
cable.
> > >  Even unprintable char's.
> > >
> > > I'm not sure how my callsign will be imbedded in the
outgoing