[aprssig] I almost understand WIDEn-N

Keith VE7GDH ve7gdh at rac.ca
Sat May 26 12:48:14 EDT 2007

Joseph NE3R

> WIDEn-N, I understand what the second N is for, I think. Basically
> after each digi the value of N goes down by one. What is the purpose
> of the first n?
>
> I'm curious what the difference would be between WIDE2-2 or WIDE3-2.

Just some additional comments to Herb's reply... I see you have already got
NE3R on the air, but it must be rather lonely in the middle of the Pacific -
hi! http://map.findu.com/NE3R. If you had multiple stations running under
your callsign, each would be made unique by a different SSID. (Ummm...
secondary station identifier??) When you use NE3R the implied SSID is -0,
but "dash zero" isn't used. You could have up to 15 other stations running
as NE3R-1, NE3R-2 etc. That SSID doesn't change. When specifying a digi path
e.g. WIDE2-2 the "WIDE2" is an alias. The "-2" is an SSID, but with a
special function. When your beacon goes through a digipeater, it decrements
the SSID to indicate how many "hops" are left. When it gets to zero,
it isn't digipeated any more. A path of WIDE7-7 (not recommended!)
would indicate that you wanted go be digipeated seven times and that none of
the hops had (so far) been used up. However, in the real world (at least in
North America) seven hops would be unrealistic and anything more than two
(or three) hops would be considered QRM. APRS is after all for "local" use
and trying to propagate a beacon via 7 WIDEn-N digis would be very bad
practice unless you had some kind of an emergeny going on. Someone could use
a really stupid path of WIDE2-7 and (if not stopped by up-to-date digis that
try and trap such paths) could potentially go on and get 7 hops even though
it starts out by saying that the user really wanted two hops. Stupid paths
would of course be more than frowned upon! I'm just trying to give a further
example of what the n-N means. The first number is actually part of the
alias and indicates the desired number of hops via digipeaters. The second
one (really an SSID) indicates how many hops are left and does get
decremented by one each time it goes through a digipeater.

In your example of WIDE2-2, you would be requesting two hops and one are
used up yet. In WIDE3-2 you were presumably requesting three hops by
starting out as WIDE3-3 and the first hop had already been used up by going
via a digipeater and it spat it out the other side as WIDE3-2 and the next
digi it went through would decrement it to WIDE3-1 and after one more digi,
it would be down to zero (WIDE3-0) and any other WIDEn-N digis that heard it
wouldn't take any action.

Again, the recommended path in North America is WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1 for mobiles.
Any "home fill-in" digi that responds to WIDE1-1 will act on it. If heard
direct by a WIDEn-N digi, it will also act on it. Paths are used
sequentially, so after the WIDE1-1 has been used up, it would get one
additional hop from any WIDEn-N digi that heard the request for WIDE2-1. The
reason home stations shouldn't use WIDE1-1 is that presumably they have
better antennas and a good path to an adjacent WIDEn-N digi and don't need
any additional help from a fill-in digi. A few (very few) places will need
more than two hops to make it to a specific place... e.g. to an IGate. It's
up to the individual to use a sensible path.

If WinAPRS doesn't fill your needs, don't forget that UI-View is available
at www.ui-view.org.

73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH