[aprssig] smartbeacon fast rate

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Fri May 25 12:56:29 EDT 2007

On Fri, May 25, 2007 at 10:07:42AM -0400, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <mckeehan at mckeehan.homeip.net> flavor, containing:
> I picked the 60MPH for easy calculations :-)
>
> I did not realize until I saw this note that corner pegging is disabled above
> the fast speed.

It isn't, at least not in Xastir.  Xastir disables corner pegging below the
slow speed.

Above the high speed, the "min turn angle" is the turn threshold for corner
pegging.  Between high and low speeds, the turn threshold is adjusted by
the turn slope and speed (it is supposed to become less sensitive as speed
decreases, i.e. higher turn threshold).

It might be that other devices than xastir *do* disable corner pegging at
high speed, too.  On the hamhud site:

  <http://www.hamhud.net/hh2/smartbeacon.html>

the pseudocode fragment shows corner pegging working at all speeds above
the low speed setting.  Xastir's implementation differs from this pseudo
code only in that bit about the turn threshold --- the pseudocode shows
turn_threshold always depending on speed, but xastir sets it to "turn_min"
when above high speed, and uses the formula in the pseudocode only when
between high and low speeds.