[aprssig] Proper settings for SmartBeaconing

Amir Findling sarlabs at twcny.rr.com
Thu May 24 12:56:26 EDT 2007

I found one good use for beaconing every 2-3 minutes while parked. When
I leave my car downtown, where it is more likely to be stolen, I leave
the radio on (volume down) and the GPS is on. I generally park my car
only for short amounts of time, doctor's visit etc. Should it get
stolen, the crooks who are dumb enough to steal a 99 Ford Explorer might
not notice the radio being on and they may have a bad surprise awaiting
them with flashing lights....

Yes it does tax the net, but I believe for a good enough reason. It also
taxes the battery but I have a system that will turn the radio off
if/when a certain cutoff voltage is reached. But it will turn back on
when the car is in motion.

73' de Amir K9CHP Member ARRL, AMSAT #36083
Cayuga County Highland SAR www.highlandsar.org <http://www.highlandsar.org/>
1st Special Response Group www.1srg.org <http://www.1srg.org>
Apprentice Tracker Joel Hardin Professional Tracking Services
http://www.jhardin-inc.com