[aprssig] Proper settings for SmartBeaconing

Kai Gunter Brandt kai.brandt at hjemme.no
Thu May 24 11:36:25 EDT 2007

I dont like the TH-D7 and TM-D700 beaconing at a standard interval.
When driving it would be better with smartbeaconing as the speed has
something to do with how often a beacon should/coulde be sent.

When parking i dont see the trouble for the operator of the radio to
change the interval to i.e 30min and change this back when on the run again

When i'm using TinyTrack i have two settings for smartbeacon:
One for car/motorbike. And TX every 30 if speed is under 1mph and more
often when i'm driving at "normal" speed.
Second setup is for when i'm portable then the smartbeacon need som
adjustments.

Norway is also a strange country if you are driving. So the wrong
parameters for beaconing is going to get "continous" beaconming as we
have more turns than stright lines

So smartbeacon is not plug'n'play and this is the facts for TH-D7 and
TM-D700 or to simplify it. APRS is not plugnplay but it can be if we
have some standards to follow.

How to prevent to much beaconing?

Let the DIGIpeater drop more than x packets in a minute (this is already
in use)
And let the DIGI ignore more than x-packets from position dd.mm.yy +/ a
few hundred meters within a timeframe i-e 3min

This doesnt solve the RF QRM but when people know why they dont get
digipeated they have to adapt their setings. And then the QRM is gone.

LA3QMA