[aprssig] Re: Ubuntu/Kubuntu (was:The new D710 and Smart Beaconing?

Mark Fellhauer sparkfel at qwest.net
Thu May 24 04:50:03 EDT 2007

At 11:31 AM 5/23/2007, Earl Needham via Kubuntu wrote:

>         I'm just getting started with Kubuntu and Xastir, we'll see how
> THAT goes
>over the next few weeks.  I notice I have a SmartBeaconing setup there, too.

I found a need at work for a small PC that I can access over the
Internet.  I went with a Mini-ITX Epia MII 12000 motherboard (I had one
laying around) in a Mini-Box M200 case with a PicoPSU 120 power supply.   I
added a Transcend 4 GB solid state IDE module.   Cost always being a
factor, I really didn't want to waste an OEM copy of XP on this box, so I
decided to try a copy of Ubuntu 7.04.   Although I've dabbled with Linux in
the past, it's always been a real hassle getting it to work, but this
install went flawlessly.   It even works well on the few laptops I've
tried.  The only issue I ran into was with a Hyundai LCD monitor that
Ubuntu would only configure to 800x600 pixels.  Some editing of the proper
config file fixed this in a few minutes.  My problem is a lack of
familiarity with Ubuntu and most of the time I spent was to figure out how
to use sudo with gedit to get permission to edit the xorg.conf
file...   Tomorrow (actually later today, now) I'm replacing the Epia
motherboard with a Jetway C7 fanless mobo, for a fanless and diskless
solution.

The best part is Ubuntu has VNC built in, so it's just a matter of
configuring it.   This is a really small computer at 8" x 9.5" x 2.25" and
it runs on 12 volts.  I'll probably end up building several of these to
install at client sites.

For those of you who haven't tried Linux yet, or need to build a computer
just for things like email, surfing the web, and word processing, Ubuntu
just might be what you're looking for.   Oh, and you could use it for APRS
and ham radio, too.

73,

Mark
KC7BXS