[aprssig] Smart beaconing and the tragedy of the commons

Joel Maslak jmaslak-aprs at antelope.net
Wed May 23 23:33:20 EDT 2007

On May 23, 2007, at 9:10 PM, Robert Bruninga wrote:

> "What kind of algorithm can we place on smart beaconing
> *settings* that can protect the network from improper settings.
> If we can come up with a consensus on how to implement it, then
> I think we have a great thing to go forward with and hope that
> Kenwood will implement it in the D710...

That I do not know.  Every ham radio I've ever seen allowed for use
in a way which could harm other uses.

I looked at what I implemented in SmartPalm.

I have three "rate" settings:

1) Turn beacon rate
2) Fast MPH rate
3) Slow MPH rate

It will *NEVER* beacon more often than the lowest of these.  And the
lowest if these should be reasonable.

The turn beacon rate determines what corners get transmitted.  It
won't beacon a corner if it's beaconed a corner in the last "turn
beacon rate" seconds.

The fast MPH rate determines how fast it beacons above the fast speed
threshold.  After you go > then the fast speed threshold, it doesn't
send beacons any faster.  If you go SLOWER than the fast threshold,
but faster than the slow threshold, it slows down beacons so you are
beaconing LESS than the fast rate, dependent on speed.

The slow MPH rate determines how often you beacon while slow or
stationary (parking lots, creeping traffic, parked).

What do you set them at?  Well it depends on what you are doing.  If
your goal is for your wife to see where you are on a cross-country
trip, set the slow MPH rate and turn beacon rate fairly high.  Set
the fast MPH to a couple minutes or so.  If you're goal is to follow
a parade in a special event, set your turn rate fairly low, your fast
MPH rate probably won't come into play, and your slow MPH rate should
be fairly high.  Etc.

But if you have ideas for the Smart Beacon thresholds and rates,
please let us know.  But I think the algorithm has adequate
protection - if anyone sets any rate to 15 seconds on any kind of
algorithm (including proportional pathing or dumb [Kenwood(tm)]
beaconing), it'll cause an issue.