[aprssig] Smart beaconing and the tragedy of the commons

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Wed May 23 23:10:07 EDT 2007

> As for the number of users you see abusing Smart
> Beaconing... probably almost all your non-D7/D700
> users are using it.  The fact that some abuse
> it doesn't necessarily mean that Smart
> Beaconing is more apt to be abused if most users
> are using it.

Exactly!  This proves what we all know, and that is that smart
beaconing is great when properly set, because it is used daily
by so many without significant problems.  But that is not the
issue.  The issue is how do we find a way to come up with a
recomendation to kenwood so that the D710 can implement smart
beaconing BUT avoid the improper settings?

*** LET ME REPEAT THE BASIS OF THIS THREAD ***

"What kind of algorithm can we place on smart beaconing
*settings* that can protect the network from improper settings.
If we can come up with a consensus on how to implement it, then
I think we have a great thing to go forward with and hope that
Kenwood will implement it in the D710...

Bob, WB4APR