[aprssig] The new D710 and Smart Beaconing?

Bob Burns W9RXR k4rxr_ at rlburns.net
Wed May 23 22:30:30 EDT 2007

At 10:16 PM 5/23/2007, Robert Bruninga wrote:

>Setting-software should warn the user about improper settings when
>he makes it and ask for confirmation depending on the severity of the error.

Unless Kenwood is endowing this new radio with a lot of processor and
memory along a very robust UI, there's probably not enough horsepower
there to walk the user through all of the ramifications.
Additionally, if you make the UI too intrusive, the average user will
stick with the defaults and let the thing run...just like the guy
near me who lets his home-based D700 beacon once a minute.

>...what should be the correct algorithms for the new D710?

My opinion is of minor consequence, but based on what I've read, some
combination of SmartBeaconing and Proportioanl Pathing might be the
"killer ap".

>For sure we are recommending...

Who is this "we" that is making recommendations to Kenwood?

Bob...