[aprssig] The new D710 and Smart Beaconing?

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Wed May 23 22:16:04 EDT 2007

>> .. We are not condeming smart beaconing, we are
>> concerned about the overall operational result,
>> including factoring in human nature.
>
> So why does the focus continue to be Smart Beaconing?
> Other trackers that operate on a fixed rate have the
> same problems...

Yes, and we should address those as well.  Setting-software
should warn the user about improper settings when he makes it
and ask for confirmation depending on the severity of the error.

> How many of us have seen a Kenwood that transmits
> once per minute all afternoon while parked?
> Should we ban Kenwoods too?

Ah!... but that is exactly the point of this thread, that is,
what should be the correct algorithms for the new D710?  For
sure we are recommending that fixed rate beaconing for parked
cars should NOT be in the new radio.

WB4APR, Bob