[aprssig] Some Quick Impressions of the Dayton Hamvention 2007 -- APRS -- Kenwood TM-D710

Bill Vodall WA7NWP wa7nwp at gmail.com
Wed May 23 22:03:31 EDT 2007

> I wish Kenwood saw this product important enough, to talk to a panel of
> amateurs with APRS interest.

The Kenwood rep at the Seapac hamfest last year, 3 months before DCC,
eagerly accepted our complete list of "wishes" for the next generation
D700.  We later heard the list had  made it to the engineering
department for consideration.

<http://wiki.ampr2.net/nwaprs/KenwoodInfo_2fKenwoodRadiosProblems>

Smartbeaconing wasn't on this list...  :-)

If they miss fixing KISS and the TNC, they'll have missed an
incredible opportunity - both for Kenwood sales and for Amateur Radio
digital operations.   If they miss fixing the non-adjustable TXD issue
-- they shouldn't be allowed on the air.

Related to stationary beaconing -- does anybody know if the Kenwood
will continue to beacon if the valid GPS data quits?  I'm about to
move the power to my D700 from switched to direct to the battery.
Having to switch on to run the radio is just too limiting.  I'll
probably still leave the GPS on the switch so it won't run unless the
car is going.

73
Bill - WA7NWP