[aprssig] Smart beaconing and the tragedy of the commons

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Wed May 23 16:53:37 EDT 2007

Keith VE7GDH wrote:

> I would also have to agree that when Stephen WA8LMF realized he was
> beaconing too often, it was a case of not configuring it properly rather
> than it happening just because he was using SmartBeaconing. SmartBeaconing
> doesn't kill the APRS network. APRS users kill it... if whatever they are
> using isn't configured properly.

At the time i first encountered smart beaconing in APRSplus, I left the
settings at default.  APRSplus, which is notorious for a TOTAL lack of
documentation, was the only APRS app I had used up to then. I was unware
of the origins of smart beaconing (i.e. the HamHud project).  I just
disabled it rather than diddle randomly with the available settings in
APRSplus.

--

Stephen H. Smith    wa8lmf (at) aol.com

NEW!   World Digipeater Map