[aprssig] The new D710 and Smart Beaconing?

Joel Maslak jmaslak-aprs at antelope.net
Wed May 23 14:18:33 EDT 2007

On May 23, 2007, at 10:19 AM, Robert Bruninga wrote:

> I would like to see a good definition of settings.  Almost every
> instance of smart beaconing that I have seen on the air are
> noteworthy due to their excessive beaconing.  Here is an example
> that is burned into a typical tracker:

You probably should talk to these people.  You should have more
influence than we would.  It's right up there with configuring a D700
to beacon every 5 seconds.

> DIRECTION:
> Get some guy driving around in the parking lots and malls while
> doing lots of honey-doos and shopping, it kills the frequency
> with 10+ second beacons for hours.  Again, this is *not*
> acceptible for routine operations, and past experience shows
> that we can guarantee that -most- will be at the -wrong-
> settings -most- of the time.

There is a time setting to control that.  I know of no one's software
that defaults to "10 seconds minimum between beacons".  And since the
user had to change the settings to do this, why do you think they
wouldn't set a D700 equally wrongly?