[aprssig] The new D710 and Smart Beaconing?

Keith VE7GDH ve7gdh at rac.ca
Wed May 23 13:47:39 EDT 2007

Bob WB4APR wrote...

> They introduced the concept at the TAPR Digitial Communications
> Conference last September and handed out questionares for
> everyone to list their most important features.  I believe there
> may also have been a web site? Anyway, the solicitation of
> comments was well published here and elsewhere.

My recollection was that a few people commented about it here and on other
APRS related lists and that it was that it was shown at DCC with short
notice. I also seem to recall at least one comment after the fact about a
non-disclosure agreement. If you were there, you probably heard more
than "we" did, but there were virtually no actual facts about the upcoming
D710 presented an any APRS-related lists that I'm on, and the only thing
about a website that I can recall was one that showed a few pictures and
absolutely no technical details whatsoever.

> >Smart Beaconing

> I would like to see a good definition of settings...

I snipped the rest because your comments had nothing whatsoever to do with
SmartBeaconing. My first exposure to SmartBeaconing was while programming my
first TinyTrak 3. I have found the concept to be elegant and have enabled it
in every one of the half a dozen or so TT3s that I have and in an equal
number of OpenTrackers of various flavours. They all do SmartBeaconing. The
HamHUD II also does SmartBeaconing. If you do a search for "SmartBeaconing"
you will find many explanations of it. The "from the horse's mouth" version
is at www.hamhud.net/hh2/smartbeacon.html. It isn't exactly new. It has been
around for nearly 9 years. The concept is brilliant. Not everyone will
understand the math. Most of it goes over my head, but I know how to enter
some reasonable settings. I would have expected that you would have been one
of the few people that could look at the algorithm's and actually understood
them. Perhaps I was wrong there.

If you want to look at the documentation for the most commonly used devices
that use SmartBeaconing, look at the TT3 www.byonics.com and the OT
www.n1vg.net where the documentation is freely downloadable. By looking at
the configuration programs or views of them in the PDF manuals, it is easy
to understand the concept without having to understand the math.

I'm not saying that it can't be misconfigured. Heck... all kinds of things
are used improperly every day... e.g. cars, rope, planes, guns, explosives,
ladders, etc. and some of them even kill people instead of "just" cluttering
up the airwaves. If the person programming a SmartBeaconing device isn't
smart enough to know to enter reasonable settings, all they have to do is
ask... e.g. on the APRS SIG, the TT3 list, the OT list, and of course the
HamHUD list. If you observe someone beaconing every 20 seconds on the
highway, or every 10 seconds in a mall parking lot, do your best to contact
them to assist in correcting the settings. Don't bash SmartBeaconing just
because you don't use it or because you assume that every mis-configured
device out there is misconfigured just beacause it is capable of
SmartBeaconing. Read the readily-available literature and learn how
SmartBeaconing works. The better you understand the concept, the better you
will be able to actually help someone set it up properly instead of just
putting it down.

Like a lot of people, I'll watch with interest to see what the D710 is
capable of doing when it is actually released. I'll hold off bashing it
until I see what Kenwood has come up with, but I'm not expecting it to be
earth shattering. For now, I'll put my money on the HamHUD II and the
upcoming HamHUD V. Until the radio manufacturer's actually start listing to
hams, we aren't going to get much more than "just radios" from them.

73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH
--
"SmartBeaconing whenever I get a chance!"