[aprssig] The new D710 and Smart Beaconing?

Matt Werner kb0kqa at gmail.com
Wed May 23 14:13:57 EDT 2007

On 5/23/07, Stephen H. Smith <wa8lmf2 at aol.com> wrote:

> I think it's the corner pegging component of Smart Beaconing that REALLY
> chokes the APRS channel with excessive transmissions.   It might work in
> the flat midwest where virtually all the major highways and significant
> secondary roads are dead straight and aligned on the  cardinal
> directions [ Ever looked out the window while flying over western
> Illinois, Iowa or Nebraska?   It looks like flying over graph paper!
> ].   In the west (where roads curve constantly around mountains or
> switchback their way over mountain passes)  , and in suburban
> subdivisions of carefully  artistically  curved streets, you wind up
> transmitting almost continuously.

This sounds like another case of a mis-configured Smart Beacon setup.

If it beacons too often for your needs then it sounds like you need to
adjust the parameters.  Don't say that it's a bad idea because you
couldn't make it work.

The fact that roads in the midwest are long and straight is irrelevant
if it's properly setup - while traveling about the high-speed
threshold the beacons come at a timed interval, regardless of heading
changes.

> BOTTOM LINE:    An astonishing number of people seem to have the urge to
> draw an absolutely perfect track line on other user's maps, via
> aggressive  corner  pegging.    It is SIMPLY IMPOSSIBLE to do this on a
> shared 1200 baud channel ! ! !

That fine and all, but not the purpose of Smart Beaconing.  I would
consider such use to be an irresponsible use of a shared channel as
well.

73 - Matt
KB0KQA