Digi_Ned? Was RE: [aprssig] APRS Digi "Live" CD?

Dave Baxter dave at emv.co.uk
Tue May 22 14:38:46 EDT 2007

Hi again, from home this time.

OK on Digi_Ned, I've heard of that but it sort of escaped me.  Probably because it's not a ready to run system...?

On the drive home I realised that I have some PC-104 based industrial control panels gathering dust, with 1/4 VGA mono screens and some buttons, as well as RS232, LPT (and GPIB!) ports.  They run DOS as they are at the moment, then the "Controler" application, using a "Disk on chip" device, so no moving parts.   Do I guess right that Digi_Ned might be able to live on these things?

They are 80186 or better based, at least 75MHz CPU and enough RAM for Dos, at least half a meg.

They also have a propper keyboard port, serial, parallel, floppy, IDE and VGA headers on the CPU cards, with a sort of "normal" PC like bios, as well as the ports above on an expansion card.  There are also two 40 pin F877 like PIC devices on the expansion card, that communicate via the PC-104's LPT port.

However, there is no way I could even attempt to build and compile Digi_Ned, for a start, the only Linux machine I have right now (there could be others) runs an old Mandrake 9.2, with no compiler or builder that I can find (it runs an echolink proxy OK) plus I'd need to do some investigation on the PC-104 cards to find out exactly what I have.  I sort of doubt there will be any compiler models or directive files for them, so ????  All I know at the moment is they are made by Ampro, but they are not a current product, nor have they been for some time.  That is why I have them of course :-)

Ideas anyone?

Dave G0WBX

PS:  I only get the digest for this group, so next reply could be a while!