[aprssig] Some Quick Impressions of the Dayton Hamvention 2007 -- APRS -- Kenwood TM-D710

Bob Burns W9RXR k4rxr_ at rlburns.net
Mon May 21 08:02:09 EDT 2007

At 01:37 AM 5/21/2007, Stephen H. Smith wrote:

>The non-debut of the much discussed and rumored new Kenwood TM-D710
>replacement for the D700 was the major highlight (or was it low
>point?) of the 2007 Dayton Hamvention.

 From my perspective, I was not disappointed. Everything that I had
read in various Kenwood TM-D700 forums indicated that Kenwood would
_not_ be ready to release the TM-D710 at Dayton.

>A prototype of the D710 was displayed but it was sequestered inside
>a clear plastic display case.

I remember when Kenwood revealed the TM-741 tri-band mobile at a
Hamvention back in the early 90's. It, too, was kept under glass. But
the fact that Kenwood had gone so far as to show a prototype told
everyone that it was going to be a real product...we just had to curb
our enthusiasm. I feel that the TM-D710 is in the same boat.

>Three Japanese representatives of Kenwood were present but NONE of
>them seemed to be able to understand technical questions or could
>answer in comprehensible English.

Interesting. I discussed a few points with "Shin" in broken English
and was able to get my questions answered.

>I was finally told that the D710 probably won't be available until early fall.

Yes, a U.S. Kenwood representative confirmed that on Friday. He said
that the D700 would be dropped from the catalog at the time the D710
was released. He also said that the D700 continues to be one of their
biggest sellers and that he anticipated no price reductions in order
to clear out stock.

Both the U.S. rep and "Shin" said that the D710 firmware was still in
development and that few details were still being worked out. I asked
about Smart Beaconing, but was told that the D710 would have
"something better". I was also told that "Shin" had spent a lot of
time with Bob Bruninga at the TAPR conference discussing APRS
features for this radio. Bob may or may not be able to confirm what
they discussed.

>The radio main chassis is about the same height and width as the
>D700 but about an inch shorter.

Same chassis as the TM-V71 that was released in time for Dayton this year.

>The control head is significantly larger than the D700's.

I think it had one more menu button across the bottom.

>Apparently the color of the LCD panel can be changed.  One of the
>two prototype/mockups on display had a orange LCD panel. The other
>was a pale green.

A TM-V71 feature that they are touting.

>The reps seemed more interested in talking up, in mangled English,
>how the radio was "Echolink ready" meaning it can store DTMF strings
>in named memories, and had audio I/O ready to connect to an Echolink
>interface; i.e. the STANDARD 6-pin Mini-DIN "packet/data" connector
>that has always had audio input and output pins.

Another TM-V71 feature that apparently carries over to the TM-D710.

Bob...