[aprssig] Some Quick Impressions of the Dayton Hamvention 2007 -- APRS

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Mon May 21 01:37:26 EDT 2007

The 2007 Dayton Hamvention APRS forum on Saturday morning had an
overflow crowd of around 250.  A few pictures from the forum are  on my
website at:

      < http://wa8lmf.net/Dayton2007 >

Apparently the Hamvention organizers originally didn't want to provide a
room and time slot for an APRS forum because they though there wasn't
enough interest to justify it.  The crowd shown in my pictures should
put this belief to rest.

===========

The non-debut of the much discussed and rumored new Kenwood TM-D710
replacement for the D700 was the major highlight (or was it low point?)
of the 2007 Dayton Hamvention.

A prototype of the D710 was displayed but it was sequestered inside a
clear plastic display case. I'm not sure if it was a working prototype
or just a mockup.  Three Japanese representatives of Kenwood were
present but NONE of them seemed to be able to understand technical
questions or could answer in comprehensible English.     No literature
on the radio was available.

I was finally told that the D710 probably won't be available until early
fall.   No one could confirm whether the APRS firmware will be contained
in flashable memory for field upgrades.

The radio main chassis is about the same height and width as the D700
but about an inch shorter.  The control head is significantly larger
than the D700's.  Unlike the D700,  the control head can be mated
directly to the main chassis without a cable.  In this mode the head
sticks up above the chassis in a manner similar to the TM-G707.

The wrong-sexed 9-pin serial port connector of the D700 has been
replaced with an 8-pin Min-DIN jack like the one used by older
Macintoshes for serial ports.

ARRRRGH!!!  Apparently the color of the LCD panel can be changed.  One
of the two prototype/mockups on display had a orange LCD panel. The
other was a pale green.

The reps seemed more interested in talking up, in mangled English, how
the radio was "Echolink ready" meaning it can store DTMF strings in
named memories, and had audio I/O ready to connect to an Echolink
interface; i.e. the STANDARD 6-pin Mini-DIN "packet/data" connector that
has always had audio input and output pins.

--

Stephen H. Smith    wa8lmf (at) aol.com

NEW!   World Digipeater Map
  http://wa8lmf.net/APRSmaps