[aprssig] Xastir on OS X

Curt Mills archer at eskimo.com
Mon May 14 10:47:21 EDT 2007

On Sun, 13 May 2007, Greg D. wrote:

> I'm not an expert at xastir either, but the next step is to configure the
> maps.  Browse around under the map chooser for something that works for your
> area; they're all on-line and some take a bit of time to download, so be
> patient.  With the default zoom, none seem to show any detail.  I run my zoom
> at 1024 or less usually.

I run exclusively with local map files at home, and this is the mode
that Xastir was originally created to do, so it's definitely
possible.  Also, if you have the Berkeley DB library compiled in
properly you end up with map caching enabled, and Xastir will do
it's best to cache the online maps to your local hard drive.  This
is very dependent on zoom level and map center though, but if you
set a map bookmark to something you usually use, then only do the
PgUp/PgDown and right/left/up/down arrow buttons, you'll end up
running around in your cached maps most of the time instead of
downloading them fresh.

> About the only thing I don't care for with xastir is that the map system is
> slow for loading, panning, zooming, etc, but there are a lot to choose from.

Might be mostly 'cuz you're using online maps?

With Tiger Shapefile maps on my local drive I can move around
awfully fast.  Same for USGS topo maps or aerial photos if I'm not
zoomed out too far.

--
Curt, WE7U.				archer at eskimo dot com
http://www.eskimo.com/~archer