[aprssig] California roadtrip

Earl Needham needhame1 at plateautel.net
Sun May 13 17:01:01 EDT 2007

At 02:11 PM 5/13/2007, Arno Verhoeven (PE1ICQ) wrote:
>Hi,
>
>Later this week my wife and I will start our vacation in California.
>I'm still doubting if I should take any APRS gear with me.When we
>get there we will pick up a rental RV (25') and I have some doubts
>about the antenna mounting possibilities. Normally I would use
>a  1/4 wave on a mag mount. But the RV will probably have a aluminum
>or polyester roof, so the mag mount won't work. I don't really know
>what the RV will look like, so big question mark on the temporary
>antenna mount possibilities.
>Does any of you guys have any good ideas about this? We will be
>flying in from Europe, so luggage restrictions are an issue. (size,
>weight, together with our regular luggage.)

         Most of the RV's that I have noticed, have a rail around the
top, or around a portion of the top, and I think you could buy a
mirror mount for CB antennas and put that on there.  Those mounts are
available at nearly every truck stop in the nation.

         7 3
         Earl

KD5XB -- Earl Needham
Clovis, New Mexico DM84jk