[aprssig] Limitations of D700a

Rusty Hemenway rhemen at roadrunner.com
Fri May 11 11:23:35 EDT 2007

Kevin

I purchased my first D700 a little over a month ago.  I wish I had done that
several years ago.  The radio works great for ARPS and voice.  I purchased
the keyboard interface, so in an emergency I could handle email (WL2K) or
short messages a lot easier/faster.  I also wanted a way to see what other
APRS stations were in my area without having to open the details screen.
So, I purchased a G4T display.

I mounted both the D700 and G4T directly behind the steering wheel.  This
way I can drive and hardly take my eyes off the road to see what is going on
around me APRS wise.

I'm planning a trip across the country in late summer/early fall, probably
going East on Route 40 to the Washington DC area.  Then up the coast to New
England, and back across the country on route 90 to the Seattle area, then
down the coast back to the LA area.  I think this combination of equipment
will work well.

I've used my laptop with UI-View,  but my wife gets tired of holding the
laptop and you can't really take your eyes off the road to look at the
screen while driving 70 mph.

I hope that stations along the way are broadcasting Tornado Warnings,
freqs/pl's of local repeaters and other information.

Many will probably say that I should have waited until after Dayton in case
Kenwood or someone else introduces a newer radio.

Rusty K1GGS