[aprssig] APRS and the I-95 Corridor

Joel Maslak jmaslak-aprs at antelope.net
Sun May 6 16:11:05 EDT 2007

On May 5, 2007, at 7:11 PM, Jason D. Triolo wrote:

> I'll be driving from Florida to Virginia at the end of June. Have
> most/all digi operators along the way converted to the new
> paradigm, or do I need to have some old settings on standby in some
> areas?
>
> I'm most unsure about North Carolina. After running into a R,W digi
> in Greensboro, I'm wondering if that digi was an exception, or if
> that's typical within the state?

If you're concerned about IGate coverage, this is what a mobile
running WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1 gets (good antenna, full power D700, set up
hopefully properly, big wire [small gauge power wiring causing even a
1 volt voltage drop can halve your output power], etc):

http://www.findu.com/cgi-bin/track.cgi?
call=n7xuc-7&geo=usa.geo&start=10000

Beacon time is once every 3 minutes I believe.

This track history includes I-95 from Daytona Beech (turnoff for
Orlando) and almost into New York City (turned onto Thruway).

Places with the biggest gaps that I've driven are Nebraska, Eastern
CO, TX panhandle, Georgia (almost no coverage between Atlanta and
Savannah), Ohio (especially I-70).  My most consistent surprise has
been Iowa - great coverage along I-80.

Some of these gaps may be lack of digi coverage (Western Nebraska)
while others have digi coverage but no IGate (Savannah, GA).  Yet
others may not support WIDEN-n.