[aprssig] TH-D7AG in the U.K.

Iain Young g7iii at g7iii.net
Wed May 2 13:40:30 EDT 2007

Jan T. Pharo wrote:
> David Rush <david at rushtone.com>, Wed, 02 May 2007 07:59:48 -0600:
>
>> How usable would a North-American-spec Kenwood TH-D7AG handheld be in
>> the United Kingdom for APRS?  Any show-stoppers, operationally, legally,
>> or otherwise?

I have one, works fine for me.

> Not british, but still european, I can say that the APRS frequency for
> 2 m is 144.800.

Same deal in UK 144.800 (See, we do get along with our European
Neighbours :P :). Recommended is TRACE3-3 IIRC rather than the
WIDEn-N AIUI. I have mine set to TRACE3-3.

>> Would a CEPT-compliant callsign ID (M/KY7DR/M while mobile or M/KY7DR/P
>> while portable, I suppose) in the comment field keep things legal on
>> that side of the pond?

or G/<callsign>. But be aware thats only fully correct for England. You
need the following prefix for other parts of the UK:

GM or MM If Operating in Scotland
GW or MW If Operating in Wales
GI or MI If Operating in Northern Ireland
GD or MD If Operating in the Isle of Man
GJ or MJ If Operating in Jersey (Channel Islands)
GU or MU If Operating in Guernsey (Channel Islands)

Also, if using the 2 prefix (also allocated to the UK) Stations in
England should use "2E" as their prefix rather than just "2"

> I am sure some british amateurs will tell you if you have to enter the
> /M or /P in the UK.

Latest regs say we "May" add the /M, /P, /MM etc suffixes, not that we
"must". The prefix above is "must". Not entirely sure of your situation,
as IIRC, both sets of regulations apply *unless* there they contradict,
in which case the Host country's rules apply.

73s

Iain