[aprssig] TH-D7AG in the U.K.

Jan T. Pharo la2bba at jpharo.net
Wed May 2 10:14:32 EDT 2007

David Rush <david at rushtone.com>, Wed, 02 May 2007 07:59:48 -0600:

>How usable would a North-American-spec Kenwood TH-D7AG handheld be in
>the United Kingdom for APRS?  Any show-stoppers, operationally, legally,
>or otherwise?

Not british, but still european, I can say that the APRS frequency for
2 m is 144.800.
The band limits are 144.000-145.999; CW and SSB in the lower part, and
not practical for the D7. APRS and such can use from 144.7875 and up
(since a couple of years in all region 1 AFAIK), i.e. lowest center
frequency is 144.800.

>Would a CEPT-compliant callsign ID (M/KY7DR/M while mobile or M/KY7DR/P
>while portable, I suppose) in the comment field keep things legal on
>that side of the pond?

You can enter such a callsign in the comment field as you say. Slashes
won't work in the callsign field.
When I am in some outland, I let my callsign as it is, but enter e.g.
DL/LA2BBA (or W9/LA2BBA) as a comment.
I am sure some british amateurs will tell you if you have to enter the
/M or /P in the UK.

--
73 de Jan, LA2BBA
Hvaler, Norway