[aprssig] Weather Alert Network on APRS

Michael J. Wolthuis wolthui3 at msu.edu
Tue May 1 12:15:23 EDT 2007

In Michigan, we were not quite this in-depth and use it for routing traffic
to the NWS offices not for delivering announcements, but we setup specific
digis in the State as (L) digis instead of (S) digis and put WX inside the
UIDIGI command.  Then we have the NWS sponsored weather stations send to
WX2-2 or WX3-3 as needed to get them to the appropriate counties, digis and
Igates.  This has worked very well as we leave ID ON for WX and thus can see
the path a weather station takes to get to the IGATE at the NWS and then it
is converted with a script and loaded onto the NWS main forecasting
machines.

It has worked very well, but the problem becomes if you have end-user
weather stations and they send to a standard path and not WX VIA WX2-2 then
the NWS will not pick them up because of the script we use to catch the WX
in the TO call.

There has been pluses and minuses to doing it this way, but overall it has
allowed us to use VERY high beacon rate on specific weather stations for the
good of the 3 regional NWS offices.

Mike
Kb8zgl

I think that is an excellent use of the UIDIGI parameters.  Now
that most areas are upgraded to the New-N paradigm, more of the
four UIDIGI settings are available for this use.  But to make it
work most efficiently,
I would think that the originating Igate would want to make sure
the path does include multiple broadcast hops.  SO therefore it
should probably use a discrete path to the digi that is most
central to the area, and then a single WXMHX beyond that as in
DIGI1,WXMHX.  Would that work?

Because using multiple hop WXMHX,WXMHX hops has the same
RELAY,WIDE dupe problem we are trying to avoid.  But proper
choices can minimize QRM and maximize the coverage.  The problem
is the large number of set-and-forget digipeaters out there...

Bob, WB4APR