[aprssig] Weather Alert Network on APRS

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Tue May 1 12:03:49 EDT 2007

> So here's the setup.  A local I-Gate is setup to
> gate out weather bulletins... from our local NWS
> office....  We ATTEMPTED to get the sysops of our
> digipeaters to add "WXMHX"... into their UIDIGI
> field to create our own weather network, thus
> preventing this information from going to far
> and making sure that it gets to where it needs to get.

I think that is an excellent use of the UIDIGI parameters.  Now
that most areas are upgraded to the New-N paradigm, more of the
four UIDIGI settings are available for this use.  But to make it
work most efficiently,
I would think that the originating Igate would want to make sure
the path does include multiple broadcast hops.  SO therefore it
should probably use a discrete path to the digi that is most
central to the area, and then a single WXMHX beyond that as in
DIGI1,WXMHX.  Would that work?

Because using multiple hop WXMHX,WXMHX hops has the same
RELAY,WIDE dupe problem we are trying to avoid.  But proper
choices can minimize QRM and maximize the coverage.  The problem
is the large number of set-and-forget digipeaters out there...

Bob, WB4APR