[aprssig] APRS -- Chicago to Mackinac Island sailboat race

AE5PL Lists HamLists at ametx.com
Fri Mar 30 06:41:11 EDT 2007

For a definitive explanation of the login line, go to http://www.aprs-is.net/valid.htm  Note that www.aprs-is.net is the definitive location for APRS-IS formatting including q constructs, etc.

For user, be sure to use a -unique- callsign-SSID (N9TN-VS, for example) since you already use N9TN as your home station.  Your validation code does not change.

The format for your packet can also be found at www.aprs-is.net  Since you are, in essence, gating the packets to APRS-IS, I recommend using something like:

N9TN-9>APRS,qAR,N9TN-VS:@092345/4349.13N/08653.55WY306/015Cheap'n'Deep sec 6 Chicago Mac race

Note the qAR construct tells APRS-IS that this packet has been received by N9TN-VS from RF (or non-APRS-IS means) and is being passed into APRS-IS by N9TN-VS.  This is assuming that you use the N9TN-VS user callsign-SSID combination on login.  One of the purposes for the q construct is to show a "port of entry" which this does (it is also used for loop detection).

Hope this helps.

73,

Pete Loveall AE5PL
pete at ae5pl.net

PS: APRServe no longer exists on APRS-IS.  The majority of APRS-IS servers are running either javAPRSSrvr or aprsD.  Just a clarification.