[aprssig] APRS -- Chicago to Mackinac Island sailboat race

Bill Borgstrom bill_borgstrom at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 31 07:56:23 EDT 2007

Pete

  How do I logon and upload the packet.

AE5PL Lists <HamLists at ametx.com> wrote:
  For a definitive explanation of the login line, go to http://www.aprs-is.net/valid.htm Note that www.aprs-is.net is the definitive location for APRS-IS formatting including q constructs, etc.

For user, be sure to use a -unique- callsign-SSID (N9TN-VS, for example) since you already use N9TN as your home station. Your validation code does not change.

The format for your packet can also be found at www.aprs-is.net Since you are, in essence, gating the packets to APRS-IS, I recommend using something like:

N9TN-9>APRS,qAR,N9TN-VS:@092345/4349.13N/08653.55WY306/015Cheap'n'Deep sec 6 Chicago Mac race

Note the qAR construct tells APRS-IS that this packet has been received by N9TN-VS from RF (or non-APRS-IS means) and is being passed into APRS-IS by N9TN-VS. This is assuming that you use the N9TN-VS user callsign-SSID combination on login. One of the purposes for the q construct is to show a "port of entry" which this does (it is also used for loop detection).

Hope this helps.

73,

Pete Loveall AE5PL
pete at ae5pl.net

PS: APRServe no longer exists on APRS-IS. The majority of APRS-IS servers are running either javAPRSSrvr or aprsD. Just a clarification.