[aprssig] All APRS Digipeaters In The World (Almost!) Mapped On UIview

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Fri Mar 2 02:52:41 EST 2007

michaelcarey at internode.on.net wrote:
> Great job.
> I see my digipeater in there, but with a truncated callsign. It might
> be accidental, but most likely due to the full text overwriting some
> other digi's to my east. Look on the Australia and NZ image, on the
> south coast, mine is the last heading West before you get to the group
> on the Western coast near Perth. The text is "VK5R", the full call is
> "VK5RPL-1".
> Was my callsign intentionally altered?? (-: Maybe under some pressure
> from the big boys in Adelaide?  Just kidding.
> Regards,
> Michael.
> VK5ZEA

No conspiracy!   Just the limitations of the map display.   Each symbol
has it's callsign as a flag to the right.  The tail of your call is
being covered up by the digistar symbol for one of the four stations
just to the east of Spencer Gulf.    Apparently your posit arrived at my
copy of UIview before the stations to the east of you sent theirs.
Last man in always winds up on top of one of these visual "pileups".
[Actually I was surprised at the number of digipeaters in VK!]

Perhaps I should create a zoomed-in closer view just for "South East
Australia & Tasmania" that would spread out the mass of stations in the
area enough that their legends wouldn't overlap.   Or I could
horizontally  tile two zoomed-in screen caps to produce "South East
Australia & New Zealand".    (The North Island looks as through it could
also use some spreading out.)

--

Stephen H. Smith    wa8lmf (at) aol.com

NEW!   TNC Test CD