[aprssig] US National Grid system use

David Huff davidh at cf.distek.com
Thu Jun 28 10:35:28 EDT 2007

I was talking to some EMA folks lately, and they stated the U.S.
Department of Homeland Security is now pushing a new coordinate system
known as US National Grid, info is at <http://www.fgdc.gov> I just
stared learning about it, but it looks like just a renaming of the MGRS
system, which is based off of UTM coordinate system.
Is anybody out there using this for APRS type applications yet?  I know
the APRS format uses degree minutes instead of this new one, but are
there converter tools out there, or ways to deal with conversion without
losing much precision? Does any of the APRS clients implement this yet?

Just Wondering,

David

"We love standards, because there are so many to choose from"

This message is only for the intended recipient(s). Employees are required to refrain from making defamatory statements and refrain from infringing or authorize any copyright infringement or any other legal right via email. Any communication that is contrary to company policy and outside the scope of the employment of the individual concerned.  does not accept liability in respect to such communication. In addition, the employee responsible will be liable for damages. Employees who receive such an email must notify their supervisor immediately.