[aprssig] US National Grid system use

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Thu Jun 28 11:43:29 EDT 2007

On Thu, 28 Jun 2007, David Huff wrote:

> I was talking to some EMA folks lately, and they stated the U.S.
> Department of Homeland Security is now pushing a new coordinate system
> known as US National Grid, info is at <http://www.fgdc.gov> I just
> stared learning about it, but it looks like just a renaming of the MGRS
> system, which is based off of UTM coordinate system.
> Is anybody out there using this for APRS type applications yet?

Yes.  Xastir has it.  And UTM.  And MGRS.

> I know
> the APRS format uses degree minutes instead of this new one, but are
> there converter tools out there, or ways to deal with conversion without
> losing much precision? Does any of the APRS clients implement this yet?

We have a "Coordinate Calculator" in Xastir that will convert
to/from many of the formats, plus you can select the coordinate
system that appears on the status line.  I don't think we've added
USNG to the calculator yet though, so it only appears on the status
line.