[aprssig] APRS Network Consistent Operations

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Wed Jun 20 15:47:26 EDT 2007

> > I will list you as the Connecticut APRS CZAR
> > ... I hope to list all of the "recommended
> voice repeaters" for each state and the digi
> that is transmitting them.
>
> Czar is exactly what it is too.  We had a self-
> appointed czar ... which dictated the "recommended
> settings" for the entire state, not taking into
> account local anomalies....
> In the end we ended up... ignoring them...

What we want to achieve is consistent APRS operation everywhere.

Back before 2004, APRS had a lot of legacy digipeaters that were
compounding QRM and holding back reliable operation of the
network.  Prior to then, there were just too many "recommended
settings" depending on the legacy of old digis in place.  I
sympathize with the problem of too many "opinions" as to what
was the best...  But then...

Finally in 2004, it was apparent that APRS had to move on and
completely abandon the old legacy RELAY and WIDE and TRACE
systems to cut the QRM and get back to a SINGLE set of
recommendations that would work everywhere.  Just simplifying to
Traceable WIDEn-N not only drastically improved the reliability
of the network, it also drastically simplified user education,
because now, WIDEn-N is all they needed to know (with small N).

If there are still places with "anomolies" that prevent the
reliable operation of the APRS network, then, the better course
of action is to fix the anomolies rather than holding out for
obsolete and inconsistent user recommendations.

Good luck.
But we must get the network serving the mobile users, and
*facilitating communications* between users.  That is what it is
there for...

So, in 2004, it was the New-N Paradigm that greatly improved the
APRS network.  In 2007 it is the
Local-VoiceRepeater-Info-Initiative to make it easier to
establish communications between operators.

Bob, WB4APR