[aprssig] FD callsigns IDEA!

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Wed Jun 20 15:25:08 EDT 2007

Yes, it works!  I received a message to MDC-1 from PU2WOX.  My
object is MDC-1.  Which represents my FD station for Maryland-DC
ARRL section field-day APRS station number 1...

We should actually consider doing permanent such tactical calls
for all ARRL ARES/RACES stations at all EOC's.  Then without
Internet and on RF only, we can send messages in the blind to
these EOC's.  We need a naming convention.  Is there a standard
COUNTY naming convention?

people
> > would be on field day...  Great idea... (I cant find
original
> > msg)...
> >
> > But here maybe is a BETTER idea?  It will allow BLIND
contacts
> > throught the USA!
> >
> > Make your STATION call be XXX-n.  This way, anyone, anywhere
> in
> > the ocuntry can contact you in the blind by guessing your
> > section (XXX) and then working all the "-n"'s.
> >
> > Now since some programs are not easy to change your station
> > call, and the registration number may not work, the
> alternative
> > is as folows:
> >
> > 1) Post an object (now) of XXX-n  where XXX is your ARRL
> section
> > and -n is a sequential number if there is more than one in
> your
> > section.  At more than 15, then the callsign will have to be
> > XXX1-1 for the 16th one, and on up to XXX1-15 and then on to
> > XXX2-1 and so on.
> >
> > 2) Add XXX-n to your MESSAGE GROUP.  This way, your station
> WILL
> > receive all messages to that XXX-n object! (but it will not
> ACK
> > them).  Besides, ACKS are of no value and much less reliable
> in
> > a two-way contact anyway.
> >
> > 3) Work as many stations on RF normally as you can.  When
you
> > run out of local RF contacts, just send a message in the
blind
> > to each XXX-1 ARRL section with a CQ.  When you see a
response