[aprssig] FD callsigns IDEA!

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Wed Jun 20 09:45:39 EDT 2007

But will this work?  Will the Igates pass through a message to
an OBJECT?  They should.  By definition, an APRS object is not
supposed to tbe treated any diffferently from a station.  The
only difference is that an object cannot send its own packet and
it must be sent by someone else.  But then the Igates may not
have done it right.

So send me a message to MDC-1 and lets see if I get it.

Bob, WB4APR

alternative
> is as folows:
>
> 1) Post an object (now) of XXX-n  where XXX is your ARRL
section
> and -n is a sequential number if there is more than one in
your
> section.  At more than 15, then the callsign will have to be
> XXX1-1 for the 16th one, and on up to XXX1-15 and then on to
> XXX2-1 and so on.
>
> 2) Add XXX-n to your MESSAGE GROUP.  This way, your station
WILL
> receive all messages to that XXX-n object! (but it will not
ACK
> them).  Besides, ACKS are of no value and much less reliable
in
> a two-way contact anyway.
>
> 3) Work as many stations on RF normally as you can.  When you
> run out of local RF contacts, just send a message in the blind
> to each XXX-1 ARRL section with a CQ.  When you see a response
> from each XXX-1, then you can work the XXX-2 station and so
> forth.
>
> 4) REMEMBER, ACKS are much less reliable.  Only worry about 2
> way contacts, and not acks.  If you send station XXX-1 a
message
> and you get one back, then CANCEL your outgoing and move on to
> the next one.  The ACKS will never come back anyway, since you
> are sending messages to an OBJECT.
>
> You are doing this all on RF, but the messages actually go via
> the Igates system.  These contacts are not for FD points, but
> are for DEMO bragging rights!  A QSO is a 2 way message
contact.

> Always use the CAMP symbol for Field Day.  It is also called
> PORTABLE sometimes.  It is a semicolon in the primary table
> "/;".
>
> Won't this be a hoot!  Making contacts one by one in every
state
> and every section, and still keeping the local RF traffic
low...