[aprssig] Compatible GPS for waypoint upload?

'Scott Miller' scott at opentrac.org
Tue Jun 12 15:22:03 EDT 2007

> Make categories for handhelds and vehicle-mount units so that we can
> both keep the list up to date and refer new people to the Wiki.  I
> know I forget which models are which as well.

And make notes as to what protocols are supported - NMEA, Garmin binary,
Magellan ($PMGNWPL), etc.  I think at least some of the eTrex units only
take waypoints in Garmin format.  And last I heard, the 276C does both but
creates sequentially-numbered waypoints when given a duplicate name in
Garmin mode only.

> With the more sensitive GPS units marked specially somehow.  It's
> the SiRF Star III units that are the more sensitive units.
> Designating these units as special could be _very_ important for SAR
> people, probably others too.

Are they really that much better than anything else?  Guess I'd better get
those added to my store - I've got a number of Deluo SiRF III units on hand
that I haven't even listed yet.  I think retail is $68 on those.

Scott
N1VG