[aprssig] D700 Tip. Reading Mail

Randy Allen ka0azs at earthlink.net
Tue Jul 31 19:00:53 EDT 2007

I think the scenario envisioned by Wes and Bob would be something like this:

Assuming a home/fixed station running 24/7

Program a memory (#100 for example) with 144.39, RX PL or 100Hz, TX PL
of 103.5Hz (To use your example).

Program a memory next to it (#99 for instance) with 144.39, RX and TX PL
100Hz

For day to day you run your radio set to Chan 100 (100RX, 103.5TX).
This way you can hear the packet burst of any simplex range mobiles on
Voice Alert, but your station is not "QRMing" the "Voice Alert Channel"
when your not there to take advantage of it or otherwise busy. The APRS
infrastructure ignores the PL either way so no impact to normal APRS ops.

If you happen to be in your shack when you hear a VA station, simply
switch your APRS radio to Chan 99 (100Hz TX and RX), contact the mobile
station, and move the QSO to another simplex freq or local repeater
using your shack's normal voice radio (or the other band of your APRS
radio if it's dualband).

This of course assumes that our radio capable of splitting TX and RX PL
tones pulls it's audio for the TNC prior to the CTCSS kicking in to mute
the speaker as does the D700.

--
Randy Allen, KAØAZS