[aprssig] D700 Tip. Reading Mail

Bill Vodall WA7NWP wa7nwp at gmail.com
Tue Jul 31 15:53:49 EDT 2007

> > > [ANSWER]... Voice Alert....
> >
> > Ah but here we're on (at least) 4 different frequencies.
> > The local CQ has to be per "APRS" level, not local RF level..
>
> If I could amplify on that, it should be noted from my
> perspective, APRS was always supposed to be the SINGLE clearing
> house channel for everything going on in ham radio in a local
> area (not just APRS itself).  EVERY ham would monitor APRS to
> see what was going on locally, and EVERY ham's station would
> beacon on the APRS channel a STATUS packet about what he was
> doing on any other frequency or band or activity so everyone
> would know.

Note that you're saying "APRS", not "144.39"..   That's the magic of
working at a higher level.  When setup correctly, anybody on any "APRS
Channel" would see all the "local and relevant non-local" information.
 It doesn't have to be contained on one 1200 baud VHF frequency.
There are many many unused frequencies and thus an opportunity to "do
more."

> People say, but Bob, we don't see any of this activity being
> beaconed on APRS.... And I say, its because no one is
> transmitting what they are doing (besides APRS) onto APRS.

That's a real "opportunity" we need to take advantage of.

Bill - WA7NWP