[aprssig] D700 Tip. Reading Mail

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Tue Jul 31 15:13:55 EDT 2007

> > > How do we call CQ locally on APRS?
> >
> > [ANSWER]... Voice Alert....
>
> Ah but here we're on (at least) 4 different frequencies.
> The local CQ has to be per "APRS" level, not local RF level..

If I could amplify on that, it should be noted from my
perspective, APRS was always supposed to be the SINGLE clearing
house channel for everything going on in ham radio in a local
area (not just APRS itself).  EVERY ham would monitor APRS to
see what was going on locally, and EVERY ham's station would
beacon on the APRS channel a STATUS packet about what he was
doing on any other frequency or band or activity so everyone
would know.

APRS was not supposed to be an end-in-itself, but to be just the
DATA channel for informing everyone about everything happening
locally.

So much of what casual observers see of APRS, are simply the
maps and vehicle tracking that too many people have lots sight
of the original inspiration.  Its like the proverbial dead-band
problem.  If everyone is listening and no one is calling CQ,
then the band appears dead even though lots of interested
parties are  out there.

People say, but Bob, we don't see any of this activity being
beaconed on APRS.... And I say, its because no one is
transmitting what they are doing (besides APRS) onto APRS.

Anyway, just some thoughts.

Bob, WB4APR