[aprssig] Broken digis (Ohio to Oklahoma and everywhere in between)

Richard N. Piper IV piper.richard at gmail.com
Fri Jul 27 01:52:32 EDT 2007

> It looks like several (but not all) of these are from the St. Louis area.
> I remember reading a post here from someone saying that most of the St.
> Louis area digi operators have decided to stick with the old system.  Does
> anyone know their reason for adamantly sticking with an old, inefficient,
> broken system?
>
> -Jerome, W0JRT

Jerome, most of the Digi's that you have listed are from St. Louis. In fact
K0STL-15 I think is a club owned Digi. As for why they will not change I do
not have an answer to this. I have moved my D700 back to my car as KC0RNP
and plan on getting a GPS unit soon.

I do know that some APRS users have tried to get folks in the St. Louis area
to change most of the time with out any luck.

I know it is not required that you check your Digi or APRS setting to be on
APRS and nor do I think that one should have to "pay $" to use APRS but
folks maybe we need to make it more clear that if your going to use APRS and
your going to have a Digi you need to be using standards that help everyone.

Like Bob (the one that invinted APRS) stated in a post about Wide n-N it
helps solve lots of issues that we had with the old APRS settings. One being
that it cuts down on the QRM that other states see and even the local APRS
users see.

Do I have an easy fix to people that don't wish to change. No, only thing I
can say is to look up callsigns on QRZ or FCC Database and start writing
letters. After that has been down that only other idea I have is to file a
complant with the FCC like you would for someone that is jaming a Repeater
or using his/her callsign in the wrong way. Why do I say do this, the reason
is that we hams that want to use our equipment the "right way" and also in
the best instrest of Ham Radio and APRS need to take a stand and let the
people that don't want to do thing the "right way" or in the best instrest
of Ham Radio know that we don't stand for them or what they are doing!

Yes folks I know that people will not like some of what I have posted in
this email. However, it is time we take a stand and let the Digi owners that
refuse to change his/her settings know that we are going to do everything in
our power to see that they do things the "right way" and in the best
instrest of Ham Radio.

I am sorry if I affend some Digi owners that have not and do not wish to
change to Bob's new settings for APRS. I am also sorry for this email being
so long but fell I needed to say what I have!

--
Richard Nicholas Piper IV
KC0RNP